Thursday, August 04, 2005

... But We've Never Done It That Way Before!

Sometimes, God provides a very poignant experience that truly humbles and reminds me that I’m not as great as I think I am, after all. Though I usually rather not have these experiences, I am quite thankful that they happen anyway. It usually serves as a gentle reminder from a Loving Father who is still concerned about my character growth every day, as I strive to become more like His Son.

So what happened?

Well, one of my NCOs emailed me recently. His email made me realize just how set in my ways I was. You see, we have a “special needs” Member in our Company. He has been there for the longest time – since he was a wee little Junior Section Boy. He has since come a long way: Over the years, his commitment to the BB merited him his service awards, including the 3-Year Service Award. Next year, he should be due his Long-Year Service Award. His only setback has been his inability to earn other Awards because he could not pass his Target Award.

So this NCO’s email comes along and suggests we administer an oral exam for the Target Award. The NCO tells me that he has been working with this Boy’s sister and is fairly confident that the Boy will pass an oral examination.

Now why didn’t we think of that?

Indeed, why not? After all, must we administer written exams or purely practical exams? Are oral examinations only applicable to evaluating presentation and communication skills? I mean, this may be old news to some of you who have thought about this before… but for me, it opened up a whole new set of questions.

Think about it: Have I missed opportunities to fulfill the BB Object in other areas all because I was too set in my ways?

For example, do I need to rethink my approach to leadership? Is the rank-and-file system the best way to develop and encourage leadership among Members, or are there alternatives? What should my criteria to promote an NCO be? Should I recommend those who lead well and support the BB Object enthusiastically, but are weak in drill and band, and have only two achievement awards?

What about the daily goings on of Company life and in promoting the “habits of True Christian Character?” Must I spend so much time going into the details of “how to do drill” when there might be other ways of inculcating discipline and self-control in young people? Is the rank-and-file, salute-and-be-saluted hierarchy the only way in BB that we can inculcate obedience and mutual respect? Are these the only ways? Is this even the best way? Dare I ask: are these ways still relevant today?

Do I have the courage to challenge myself further by reconsidering the entire BB Method? Don’t get me wrong, I am quite convinced of the value and relevance of the BB Method even today (a topic to be discussed another day). However, it is more than a century old and the BB started in a historical and cultural context that may no longer be relevant today. So, perhaps, there might be better ways to apply the Twin Pillars of Religion and Discipline than what we currently have?

BBUK UniformsHow about wearing uniforms? After all, our uniform is such an integral part of the Boys Brigade. Yet, I remember the furor that occurred when the BB in the United Kingdom radically altered their uniform. They did away with the traditional haversack, cap and belt and offered sweatshirts and collared long-sleeved shirts instead. Would we dare change like they did? If, like them, we were not able to reach our youth by retaining the uniform as it was, would we change to stay relevant to a changing youth? After all, we exist for the “The advancement of Christ’s Kingdom and the promotion of habits of obedience, reverence, discipline, self-respect and all that tends towards True Christian Character,” and not to be a “Christian, military-based uniformed group.” Perhaps, like Paul, we should be willing to “become all things to all men so that by all means [we] could save some,” (I Corinthians 9:22, New International Version).

So, do we change or not? Is there a need to reconsider or even reconstruct what the Boys Brigade in Malaysia has been doing for “Sixty Impacting Years?” If need be, are we willing to let go of those nearest and dearest to our sentiments in order to advance Christ’s Kingdom and train godly young people?

I don’t know, and I’m not afraid to admit it. More importantly, however, I hope that I am not afraid to ask these difficult, controversial questions; and to change, if necessary. I pray God will always send someone along my way to challenge me to grow and to see that there might be better ways to do something.

After all, how can I explain to our Captains of Captains that I missed numerous opportunities to advance His Kingdom and disciple youths of true Christian character because I was set in my ways?

Will my answer to Him be “… but we’ve never done it that way before?”

Then, what will His reply be to me?


(Postscript: With all due respect to the whatever conventions are currently being practiced, I’m going to administer an examination for the Target Award that is befitting my Member’s aptitude. Then, I’m going to think long and hard about this movement I love called The Boys Brigade. If anyone has feedback or would like to exchange ideas, you can leave comments to this article at
www.beyondblues.blogspot.com)

No comments: